Pubs and hotels: H004
H004

The Black Dog in, on the top road. The pub possibly dates from the period after the creation of the Kendal to Kirkby-Ireleth turnpike in the late eighteenth century; the 1842 tithe commutation map (held in the CRO, Barrow) shows a toll-collection service at the junction of Broughton Road and the road to Marton.

This photo by Brian Hadwick, taken in 2002.